Wireless Power charging describes technologies that enable battery charging of mobile devices without a power cable.
About wireless power charging
There are two different ways of wireless power charging
- via electromagnetic induction
- via magnetic frequency resonance
The Wireless Power Consortium (WPC)
The Wireless Power Consortium currently supports the electromagnetic induction method and is going to support the resonant charging technology in due course as well. It combines
- inductive technologies transmitter and receiver coil – placed no more than 7 mm from each other
- resonant charging technologies transmitter detects and charges mobile devices at a maximum distance of 45 mm
By incorporating both methods, all products that are “Qi certified” according to the specifications of the Wireless Power Consortium, cover a large range of use cases.
Qi testing & certification according to WPC
7layers supports manufacturers from various industries (e.g. mobile phone industry, automotive industry) that want to enhance their products with wireless power charging.
- consultancy on how to access the WPC market
- consultancy regarding the Qi certification process
- Qi certification project handling
Testing takes place in the WPC authorized test labs of our parent company Bureau Veritas, offering
- Qi compliance testing & certification for Low Power
- pre-compliance testing
- Qi compliance testing
- debugging support
- handling of IOP test procedures
- Qi test report and certification handling
- Qi compliance testing & certification for Medium Power
- also preparing our laboratory for Qi certification testing of “fast transmitting and charging devices”, according to the new specification 1.2., which makes it possible to deliver as much as 15 Watts to mobile devices.
7layers also provides
- handling of certification according to other wireless power industry groups
- PMA = Power Matters Alliance
- A4WP = Alliance for Wireless Power
- handling of regulatory test and approval process (RED (R&TTE), FCC, ISED Canada and others)